Sunday, July 22, 2007

Harry Potter 7

I didn't pre-order it (lazy me). I didn't wait on line. And I didn't knock over any children desperate to get their hands on the final tome of this 7-book saga.

I also didn't see the books when I walked into the store.

I popped out of work on this sunny Sunday morning to pick up a copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. There was a skip in my step as I approached the bookstore. Expecting to see the windows filled with HP book covers and fans in lines down the hallway, I was a little surprised to find the shop nearly empty - and devoid of a visible stack of HP hardcovers.

Afraid of the answer, I asked timidly if there were any copies left. A chipper sales lady replied, "Oh, sure. We're just opening another box," and dipped into a cardboard box with BLOOMSBURY printed on the side. I'd found my stack, at last.

In Israel, where American movies and ice cream flavors tend to put on a belated appearance, Harry Potter arrived on time and in no hurry.

No comments: